Thursday, February 01, 2007

The Job Front

I had the job shadow at Approach ISC today. I'm very glad I did it because just from being in the office for a few hours I could see what the job entails. It's definitely a job I can do. It's definitely a job I will enjoy.

The entire office is Brazilian. I will be the only American--and the only person who doesn't speak Portugese. That's fine, I guess. I think I wish the office were a little more diverse, but the students are definitely diverse! Perhaps I'll pick up some Portuguese! I met three Japanese students today, and got to speak with them. It was fun. I love the intial shock when I speak to them in their native language!

I'm going to continue working with Berlitz through April. They pay a better hourly wage than Approach, and I prefer the early morning hours. This situation is better so long as I'm living with Tom. I was worried about not getting enough hours, but I'm realizing they will be able to give me a consistent schedule (M-F 9-11:15). Honestly, I really like the classroom. I like being "my own boss" so to speak. Berlitz has an excellent curriculum, the students are very eager and engaged, and it's like being paid to sit, drink tea and chat.

It was really hard for me to make the decision to quit Berlitz so soon after starting to begin training at Approach. Just as I was going over the pros and cons of each job with my mom on the phone, Approach called me to say they were willing to wait for me to finish my commitment with Berlitz and Tom. They want to me to start the first of May, when I can work full time. I can't believe how lucky I've been. I've had lots of job offers and opportunities in the last month--all of which I am very excited about. There's certainly not a lack of options!

Finally, since I'm staying with Berlitz, and I'm not going to have THREE jobs this month, that means I have time to volunteer. There is a hospice in the same building as Bertlitz and I stopped in the other day to ask if I could volunteer. I hope that works out--I would love to give back to that wonderful organization.

This weekend should be fun. I've been invited out both Friday and Saturday night to hang out with new girlfriends! Yeah!

Comments:
Sierra, you are one lucky woman. But it is not all luck as you work hard and are honest. Do do have to sweat some though! I'm so glad you get your cake and get to eat it too.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter