Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Are you for real?

Inspired by a recent conversation with my friend Alex, I feel the need to ask…

Are you a Heart-breaker or Broken-hearted?

(And by this, I just mean who chose to break up, you or the ex?)

Alex asked me and I expected it to be relatively even, but after serious thought I think mine is around 20:1 (heart-breaker : broken-hearted) including guys I just saw for a few weeks. It’s just an estimate, but it sort of explains why (more than I like to admit of) my ex-boyfriends don’t like me when I don’t have any problem with them.

There are a few mutual break ups too, and I’ve certainly been broken hearted even when I was the one who did the official breaking up, but the fact remains: I usually call it quits before he does.

I’m not proud of this but it explains a few things. Yasu (who I’m beginning to realize is pretty manipulative and a きびしい Japanese male) just pulled The “I burned your letters and forgot you exist” Card and I was shocked by it. Sure, I broke up with him and started dating again relatively quickly, but can that really turn his “true love” into “absolute contempt” so quickly? If we’d been together for 8 months—a year, sure, but we had a record 8 days together—many of which I was often telling him to back-off. What’s his dealio? I believe love that falls as fast as his, can only shatter as badly as it did. He needs to get a grip on reality!!

Sorry for the rant, just really frustrated with his behavior.

And I wanna know, what’s your ratio?

Comments:
I guess I have to count Mika as a dump. That makes me 3:1. I don't get around like you do. (o^-')b It's hard to keep track of your boys sometimes!
 
I'm definitely more broken-hearted than a heart-breaker... Something on the order of 1:5.

This is probably because I'm much more apt to put energy into a relationship with someone who is not an obvious match. Sometimes I end up being surprised, and sometimes it ends up going nowhere, but it's almost always been worth my time. Relationships tend to be successful not because of some pre-defined criteria, but rather as a result of an ability to communicate and understand one another. You simply can't predict how things will turn out, though I find that most people don't have this sort of patience. This is especially true of women my age and younger in the Boston area, who seem to all believe that they are deserving of royalty and can't stand any guy who doesn't know the full roster of the Red Sox by memory.

That's at least how I rationalize getting dumped all the time...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter