Wednesday, October 26, 2005
Dear Mama,
Ah. I remember the days of faulty airports and printing issues. Since coming to Japan I've had very, very few problems, so I'm afraid it's you. You're cursed Mama. Sorry.
Did I mention I love the way you post a comment on every blog entry. I'm happy to know when you've read it and what you think.
Cold morning walks with your loved ones. For some reason that reminds me of Papa and my childhood. Perhaps because he used to walk up to the bus stop with us even when it was freezing cold. I loved those mornings waiting for the bus.
Have a nice time back at the farm and know that I am terribly jealous of you! Lauren Lynn asked if I was coming home for Thanksgiving--and quickly added with an "It's okay if you're not!!"--and I wanted to tell her "yes" so badly! I want to eat Beth's mashed potatoes and set our the silver on Aunt Leta's table. I want to roll my eyes Uncle Rick's showing off his daughters and build the mousetrap with James on the living room floor. I want to see how big the Pursley kids have grown and how much weight Sean has lost. I want to stand in the circle and hold hands as we say our pray before dinner.
Too bad I'll miss it again.
Joelle and I used to email each other our daily food journals to "keep each other in check." I really enjoyed doing it, because it made me feel guilty to eating poorly and I ate better to impress her! Maybe we could do it, too?
I'll start. I ate two pieces of cake for dinner last night.
But seriously, after today I'll email you my food journal!!!
I didn't get Harald's lastest email, and I didn't get your forward yet. Harald called me last night though. He got the letter I sent him and called to let me know. I was surprised he called. I expected a letter or an email, but certainly not a phone call. After asking me what happened with the crashed harddrive, we got straight to the point--he told me about the photo website online and said many of my pictures were there. He said he would send me "some albums" but since I didn't really know the terminology or anything he had to explain it all to me. He asked me if I kept my photos online and where. I said I just keep them on my mac server and you can see them through my blog, but I've only put post-Japan pictures on there. The pictures lost were from before.
As it turned out the "albums" he sent me were from Papa's funeral, my visit to Norway and some scenery shots at Linfield that may or may not be mine. Only the funeral pictures are from before April 2003 and I know you and Joelle have copies of those. I think he knows that (what he sent me doesn't really help me out), but he wanted to send me something anyway.
Actually, I really got the feeling he wanted to talk to me more. We were on the phone for 22 minutes and basically exchanged 5 minutes worth of information. I tried to close the conversation a couple times, "Well, thank you so much and I'll wait for the email from you."
"Yeah, I'll just email the albums and you can look through them and if there's anything you want you can download them and save them. I'll be adding pictures all the time, so as I get them up I'll send you... ..." [I'm thinking he's already told me this twice and now he's just stalling.]
"Okay, well, I know this phone call is expensive for you so..."
"You KNOW it's expensive?"
"Well, I assume it's costing you money anyway, so sorry again for contacting you." [Closing the conversation.]
"Why?" [Initiating a new topic.]
"Because you asked that we never talk again."
"Oh yeah, that. I was just tired."
"And you're not tired anymore?"
"Well, you know..."
"Not really, but anyway, I didn't write you to convince you to change you mind. So goodbye?"
"So yeah, I'll send you an email with the links and you can see the pictures..." [3 more minutes of explaining what he already made completely clear.]
"Okay, thanks again."
"And I'll be adding old pictures all the time so I'll just email you what I think you'd be interested in."
"Okay, that'd be great."
"And..." [blah, blah, blah!]
As much as I appreciate this huge favor he's doing for me, he should have just said, "It'll be a while before I can get them on the internet, I'll email you the album links when I'm ready."
My conclusion from this call: He didn't have to call at all. He could have emailed me the one link with a short explanation, but he's probably ready to talk to me again and wants know what's going on in my life.
Last March I felt like he made a really stupid decision out of frustration and anger, and now I think he knows it. And I think he's hurting from it more than I. I felt a surge of confidence after I hung up the phone. While I've certainly missed talking to him the last seven months, I've felt it was out of my control. He made the decision. I was living with it. He has had to live with the decision AND the fact that he made it. I think that's harder, but he's a stubborn bastard and I don't expect him to change, even if it would make his life easier.
I'm writing a bit more about it on my blog today. Read there (if you can stand to hear anymore!)
I've been pretty darn happy lately. Although I have acute bronchitis (got confirmed at the hospital yesterday) I'm on medication now and and am emotionally very healthy. I hate my supervisor more and more everyday, but I'm not very "worried" about it. On the surface we have an okay working relationship and I think that's the most important thing. I don't have to like her, I just have to be professional. Satomi told me that once.
I've got good friends, great schools to teach at, a boyfriend who comes over at 10 p.m. to make me sara udon for dinner, and just received a package of DVDs and CDs from Steven Gotter. That means awesome entertainment every night (I love the show Arrested Development) and great new music in the car! I am so happy.
I love you more than you can imagine,
Sierra
Did I mention I love the way you post a comment on every blog entry. I'm happy to know when you've read it and what you think.
Cold morning walks with your loved ones. For some reason that reminds me of Papa and my childhood. Perhaps because he used to walk up to the bus stop with us even when it was freezing cold. I loved those mornings waiting for the bus.
Have a nice time back at the farm and know that I am terribly jealous of you! Lauren Lynn asked if I was coming home for Thanksgiving--and quickly added with an "It's okay if you're not!!"--and I wanted to tell her "yes" so badly! I want to eat Beth's mashed potatoes and set our the silver on Aunt Leta's table. I want to roll my eyes Uncle Rick's showing off his daughters and build the mousetrap with James on the living room floor. I want to see how big the Pursley kids have grown and how much weight Sean has lost. I want to stand in the circle and hold hands as we say our pray before dinner.
Too bad I'll miss it again.
Joelle and I used to email each other our daily food journals to "keep each other in check." I really enjoyed doing it, because it made me feel guilty to eating poorly and I ate better to impress her! Maybe we could do it, too?
I'll start. I ate two pieces of cake for dinner last night.
But seriously, after today I'll email you my food journal!!!
I didn't get Harald's lastest email, and I didn't get your forward yet. Harald called me last night though. He got the letter I sent him and called to let me know. I was surprised he called. I expected a letter or an email, but certainly not a phone call. After asking me what happened with the crashed harddrive, we got straight to the point--he told me about the photo website online and said many of my pictures were there. He said he would send me "some albums" but since I didn't really know the terminology or anything he had to explain it all to me. He asked me if I kept my photos online and where. I said I just keep them on my mac server and you can see them through my blog, but I've only put post-Japan pictures on there. The pictures lost were from before.
As it turned out the "albums" he sent me were from Papa's funeral, my visit to Norway and some scenery shots at Linfield that may or may not be mine. Only the funeral pictures are from before April 2003 and I know you and Joelle have copies of those. I think he knows that (what he sent me doesn't really help me out), but he wanted to send me something anyway.
Actually, I really got the feeling he wanted to talk to me more. We were on the phone for 22 minutes and basically exchanged 5 minutes worth of information. I tried to close the conversation a couple times, "Well, thank you so much and I'll wait for the email from you."
"Yeah, I'll just email the albums and you can look through them and if there's anything you want you can download them and save them. I'll be adding pictures all the time, so as I get them up I'll send you... ..." [I'm thinking he's already told me this twice and now he's just stalling.]
"Okay, well, I know this phone call is expensive for you so..."
"You KNOW it's expensive?"
"Well, I assume it's costing you money anyway, so sorry again for contacting you." [Closing the conversation.]
"Why?" [Initiating a new topic.]
"Because you asked that we never talk again."
"Oh yeah, that. I was just tired."
"And you're not tired anymore?"
"Well, you know..."
"Not really, but anyway, I didn't write you to convince you to change you mind. So goodbye?"
"So yeah, I'll send you an email with the links and you can see the pictures..." [3 more minutes of explaining what he already made completely clear.]
"Okay, thanks again."
"And I'll be adding old pictures all the time so I'll just email you what I think you'd be interested in."
"Okay, that'd be great."
"And..." [blah, blah, blah!]
As much as I appreciate this huge favor he's doing for me, he should have just said, "It'll be a while before I can get them on the internet, I'll email you the album links when I'm ready."
My conclusion from this call: He didn't have to call at all. He could have emailed me the one link with a short explanation, but he's probably ready to talk to me again and wants know what's going on in my life.
Last March I felt like he made a really stupid decision out of frustration and anger, and now I think he knows it. And I think he's hurting from it more than I. I felt a surge of confidence after I hung up the phone. While I've certainly missed talking to him the last seven months, I've felt it was out of my control. He made the decision. I was living with it. He has had to live with the decision AND the fact that he made it. I think that's harder, but he's a stubborn bastard and I don't expect him to change, even if it would make his life easier.
I'm writing a bit more about it on my blog today. Read there (if you can stand to hear anymore!)
I've been pretty darn happy lately. Although I have acute bronchitis (got confirmed at the hospital yesterday) I'm on medication now and and am emotionally very healthy. I hate my supervisor more and more everyday, but I'm not very "worried" about it. On the surface we have an okay working relationship and I think that's the most important thing. I don't have to like her, I just have to be professional. Satomi told me that once.
I've got good friends, great schools to teach at, a boyfriend who comes over at 10 p.m. to make me sara udon for dinner, and just received a package of DVDs and CDs from Steven Gotter. That means awesome entertainment every night (I love the show Arrested Development) and great new music in the car! I am so happy.
I love you more than you can imagine,
Sierra
Comments:
<< Home
I'm not sure why I would care to do anything to aid your relationship with your ex-boyfriend--territorial caveman that I am--but I recently tried Skype and found that it is very useful for cheap international calls. One could call Western Europe or the United States from Japan for 0.017 euros per minute. I think it's slightly more expensive going the other direction (because Japan is the international ghetto). All you need is a decent internet connection.
http://skype.com
Post a Comment
http://skype.com
<< Home

