Friday, August 19, 2005

POW WOW

Okay, can I just rant for a post? I’ll do this in the traditional end-of-the-day POW WOW format that my friends and I used to do in college. (ahh… sitting around Dillin Hall with the Pioneer Girls, those were good times!)

The “POW” is… well, it’s complicated. It’s a lot of things. Work is just not fun recently. Ever since the arrival of a new supervisor in April, but the last month in particular I’ve been growing increasingly distant and disconnected from the teachers and students—especially the teachers, though. The reason is simple: Sasaki. She’s my supervisor and she just seems to make everything a struggle. Everything I suggest, everything I ask, everything I do is done wrong or impossible to accommodate.

At first any of our problems were just between her and me, but now I feel like it’s affecting so much more. I’m rarely in a good mood around her because she refuses the simple niceties such as acknowledging me with an “Ohayo” in the morning. I sit right next to her, people! Because our constant problems (of which “ohayo” doesn’t scratch the surface) I'm often not in the mood to make as many efforts to communicate with anyone and I’m becoming more withdrawn from the “community” of the staffroom. And they are more withdrawn from me too. Honestly I feel like she talks negatively about me to them and it’s made them a lot more reserved around me. I don’t have any proof of that; it’s just my suspicion and the only evidence to support that claim is simply how unwelcome I feel. (Luckily this is all happening very slowly and only the last few weeks is it beginning to get me down.)

“But that’s not the nature of the teachers…” I think. I'm sure that if anyone knew I felt this way, they would do anything they could to reassure me. They were so kind to me the first year I WANT to believe there’s another reason for this, that I’M inventing things because I’m worried about her.

And the thing with the students I blame myself entirely. I’m just not my happy-self and I’m not reaching out to them like I used to. I dread classes with Sasaki because they’re always fraught with problems—and I teach more classes with her then the other teachers combined. I can’t expect students to be anything but the shy high school students they are. If I want the relationship I used to have with them then I have to work at it like I used to. But it’s all part of the snowball—the bigger the problem with Sasaki, the more areas of my work and people it affects.

The “WOW,” which is much more exciting than the POW, is that I realized it’s not all my fault. (I do understand that I need to make changes in order to repair this “situation” with my super but I'm not the ONLY one.) Today I asked if I could take a day of paid leave in September which would allow me 11 consecutive days off (I’ve got a trip coming up!) and it turned into a 45 minute discussion with the vice-principal of the school. It was only resolved once Sasaki had to leave to catch her ferry and Hatakeyama-sensei took over as translator and all the problems miraculously dissolved.

Sasaki told it was “impossible” to take the one day off because I would be teaching at an elementary school on that day. I had to change it to the previous week, but then only getting 5 consecutive days off. When talking with Sasaki she seemed destined to ruin my plans, and Hatakeyama approached it as though we weren’t going anywhere until the problem was politely and diplomatically solved—AND I had been granted my “right” of taking a day of nenkyu. His words, “It’s my right to take this day off.”

After everything was solved I apologized profusely for interrupting him and causing trouble and he said I had NOTHING to worry about. There was NO problem.

WTF? Why did Sasaki make it such an issue? I feel like she’s out to get me. Who wants to go to work every day to sit next to someone who makes your life SO difficult?

I left work feeling both disappointed (POW) and relieved (WOW) because I seriously thought I was causing a huge ruckus by asking to take this day off, but on the contrary, Sasaki was just making it appear that way and THANK GOD Hatake was there to save me. He’s such an advocate for me--is there NOTHING I can do to get him back as my supervisor?

I'm not sure what to think… except, I think my tenure is up. There have been signs pointing me to believe two years in Japan will be sufficient, and frankly, she is the major one. So, she very well may be gone in April (cross your fingers for me!) but she could also be here for another two years too. Who knows. I have to decide before I know, so that makes that decision significantly easier.

Either way, NOT wanting to teach classes is unacceptable. Of course, I haven’t been in the classroom since mid-July, but I MUST find a way to enjoy teaching with Sasaki. And we’ve GOT to figure something out before one of us is driven to performing hara-kiri first. (Today I finished reading “Clouds of Sparrows” an “epic novel of Japan” and so all this bloody-gore samurai killing and suicide-by-sword is on the mind! It’s funny. I started the 560-page book three days ago and have been reading it from 8 to 4 at work. Finished in less than three days. It’s a good thing I went to work this week, isn’t it?)

So, that’s my POW WOW for the day. Thanks for bearing with me.

I’ve decided to apply for graduate school for next fall. It would take something significant* to change my mind about that.

*Sasaki-sensei not teaching at Nakagoto HS next year is considered “significant.”

Love, Sierra

Comments:
hey there,
seems we have something in common here, even my boss is one pain in ass. previously when i had putten my exprience abut my job on my blog and i had written all possible negative things abut job and more so abut my boss, i guess bossess around the world are just like tht, no matter how hard we try , they just wan make our life more difficult. anyway i just hope everything solves out as u want it and hows rest of life going everything alrite, sorry havent got too much time to read ur blog or for tht matter to update my blog.looking forward to ur reply bye tc.
 
Hi there,
I still read your blog Sie. It must be difficult to come to work to be around your supervisor who is not kind to you. One thing I suggest is to kill her with kindness. It may be difficult to say "ohayo" to her every morning when she never says it or never says it first, but maybe try to say it to her everyday no matter what. It will make you feel good that you tried to be nice to her. Others will notice that you are trying to be nice to her and they will appreciate you. It might be that she is unkind to everyone, not just you.

If she doesn't say "ohayo" to you back, just continue your work and don't mind her. She may be going through some hard times in her life. She may be depressed. You never know what skeletons are hiding in her closet...so to speak. Anyway, you are a great teacher. Try not to let her bother you so much. Maybe she interrupts your work....you can only push forward....try to do as many things as you can. She can't stop you from doing everything that you do.

My teachers never wanted me to do anything. I came with lots of energy and I left with none. I think they just wanted me there to be a tape recorder....and to walk around and correct the students' work during class.

It's okay to not do anything....I mean, it's okay to just be there for the students without actually planning activities and/or assignments. If your teachers don't want extra stuff....go with it. Spring something on them once and a while and they will appreciate it. But, I wouldn't suggest coming with big assignments for them everyday....

Well, you probably know how you can fix your situation...but perhaps you are just plain tired of pleasing your supervisor. I can understand that. Perhaps she just doesn't let you do things and that is frustrating for you.

One thing I realized while I was teaching was this....the teachers LOVE control. Since they don't get to have much control in life, they love to control people like us or anyone they can. I guess Japanese people don't get much control of things in daily life. Things are controlled and decided at the "top" of organizations. They love taking the opportunity to control things and/or people when they get a chance.

Japan may be the only place you go to where people like your supervisor want to control your actions. You have more control over your life in Oregon. Your number one advantage in Oregon compared with Japan is that you can speak the language in Oregon. When you speak the language fluently, you take charge in your own life.

I don't know how to make your situation better. I just know that if you roll with things and just kill them with kindness, you will be very successful. You are bright and have awesome teaching ideas. When you are ready, bring up some of those good ideas. But you don't have to make yourself work that hard all of the time. Take it easy. You are great.

Love,
Michelle
 
If you start getting a lot of hits from Boston, it's because I wrote in a bathroom stall:

Click here for a good time: http://yennekarreis.blogspot.com/
 
Hi again,

Post a new topic, your site is entertaining and I like following your Japan stories.

Muchas Gracias Seniorita,

Michelle
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter