Sunday, March 25, 2007

Training Week

Last week when Tom and the kids were in Florida I starting training at Approach. The first two days were awkward because I knew NOTHING, but by the end of the second day I had a better idea of what my job really entails and ...I'm going to love it!!

I mentioned that I am a registrar/student affairs coordinator. I basically work the front desk and assist current and potential students who come into the office. When we have walk-ins I will tell them all about the school and help them apply and register for classes. I do a lot of work with visas and immigration. Our school provides F1 visas for full-time students, and there is a steep learning curve! I feel like this is really practical information for me. Because we constantly have students coming in wanting to change their visa status, transfer from another school or re-apply to study longer, I will be working with all these cases on a daily basis.

The other best part about my job is that I get to meet new international people every day. There are students from all over the world coming into the office, and I get to chat with them, learn from them, and make friends! Friday, after spending 20 minutes with two Japanese students, I went out for lunch with guys from Germany and Russia. Then a new student from Peru came in for orientation, and the Turkish students wanted to see if I could remember the greeting they taught me the day before. (I did! It's "Merhaba! Nasilsim?" Hello, how are you?)

I'm a people-person. Maybe you know this already, but it's become especially apparant since moving to Boston. Everybody here likes me. I'm outgoing and friendly (and a little bit flirtatious) with nearly everyone. The students who come into the office are often misunderstood and/or confused. I love taking the time to ask them where they're from, how they like Boston, how to say something in their native language, and all while helping them with their problems.

I spend a lot of time on every student. I am really careful with each one--to make sure they feel welcome, happy and satisfied. I've already gotten compliments from students, and sincere words of appreciation. I think I am a good saleswoman, and I believe in what I'm selling. Although sometimes I'm just listening and nodding my head when a student releases frustration regarding visa problems or money issues, it feels like I am helping them a lot. They usually just need someone to lend an ear and be sympathetic. Now when they come in they look for me and say hello, and I'm developing not only a personal relationship but improving their opinion of the school. I can't believe I get paid to do this!

The work does include a lot of administrative assisting as well. I'm not so fond of the filing and the paperwork, but I'm pretty lucky that the office is extremely well-organized and efficient. My immediate superviser, Caroline, is a perfectionist and is constantly cleaning up the workspace and making everything visually appealing. There is order and reason to everything we do. This means I have a lot to absorb in the first few months. The files must have all the applications, contracts, passport copies, bank statements, proofs of health insurance, multiple visa status forms and I-94s in a particular order. Luckily, she is also very understanding and when I make mistakes or have to ask question again and again she is incredibly patient. Soon it will be second nature.

Sometimes I think I am over-qualified for this job. I already think I am under-paid. Right now my goal is to work very, very hard and learn as much as I can from the people around me. My boss, Michelle, is an amazing woman. She is very open-minded and very intelligent. She gives us a lot of freedom and wants our input. I believe that if I spend a few years here I will get excellent experience under my belt, and will be able to move on and work in higher education administration.

A few months ago when I was talking with the CEO of Tom's company I asked, "So how did you become the CEO?" and he gave me excellent advice. 1. Work really, really hard and 2. Find a mentor who will help you realize your potential. The last two years in Japan were great, but I was getting nowhere professionally. In this job I want to go above and beyond what is expected of me and be successful. Caroline and Michelle are two wonderful role models as well. There's nothing worse than a dead-end job where you feel useless and bored. I'm finally setting goals for myself, and I can see how I will achieve them.

I will continue working part-time at Approach and Berlitz this April, then start full-time in May. Tonight I told Tom I would work through the end of April. I'm giving him 5 weeks notice, so even though I'm not staying as long as he'd like, I don't really feel bad. He has plenty of time to look for a new chauffeur.

I have a lot more news to share, but now that I'm working all three jobs I'm not sure when I'll have the time to write. I also started dating someone more seriously. Not a boyfriend, but we're having a good time together. Ironically he's not even someone I met through the craigslist posting--we met randomly while I was picking up Chinese take-out! He's not American, of course. Brazilian. I can't tell you anymore because when I do that's when the relationship ends... What a curse!

Comments:
Good to hear from you. I was beginning to wonder. I am glad you are enjoying your new job. Sounds wonderful!
mama
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter