Tuesday, January 16, 2007
Sierra-Sensei Reigns Again!
I have a job interview!! Obviously you knew I wasn't going to stay a nanny (i.e. glorified babysitter and highly educated chauffeur) forever! And if you can understand the Japanese after my name, you know I'm going to be a teacher again!
I have a job interview at Berlitz to tutor students in Japanese, English and Spanish. Most immediately they want to hire someone who speaks Japanese, which is good because I can't remember a word of Spanish right now. I'm really hesitating because I'm not sure how fluent they are expecting, but I'll have an oral interview over the phone and we'll find out if I pass the test. I'm much more confident in my spoken Japanese than my written Japanese so thank goodness they highly value conversational skills!
Already I'm starting to think "...but can I really teach other people to speak Japanese? I'm not good enough!!!" And I think this because I have such little confidence. I'm still learning Japanese myself!! However I've made a new friend in Boston who is encouraging me to stop seeing myself as under-qualified for everything short of domestic jobs. He's kind of become a mentor in a week, and fate has dropped him out of the sky at just the right moment! Thank you M.A.!
Although I still need to pass the Japanese interview with some native speakers at Berlitz they have already asked me to work on Saturday... They want to train me in two short days (Thursday/Friday) and then perform an evaluation for some new students on the weekend. They sound really desperate--the timing couldn't be better!
I will only be teaching basic Japanese, and focusing mainly on conversations. One of the students the director mentioned is going to live in Japan in a few months and is looking to get some more practice before he leaves. Oh! The stories I could share with him!!
So I'm really excited. I was jumping and dancing ...and yes, even screaming when I got off the phone. I can't believe how easy it was! The interview is on Thursday so keep your fingers crossed for me!
If worse comes to worse I can always teach English and in 3 months I get free classes to advance my own language of choice!!
(-_-! ...meh. however you make those darn things look happy....
I have a job interview at Berlitz to tutor students in Japanese, English and Spanish. Most immediately they want to hire someone who speaks Japanese, which is good because I can't remember a word of Spanish right now. I'm really hesitating because I'm not sure how fluent they are expecting, but I'll have an oral interview over the phone and we'll find out if I pass the test. I'm much more confident in my spoken Japanese than my written Japanese so thank goodness they highly value conversational skills!
Already I'm starting to think "...but can I really teach other people to speak Japanese? I'm not good enough!!!" And I think this because I have such little confidence. I'm still learning Japanese myself!! However I've made a new friend in Boston who is encouraging me to stop seeing myself as under-qualified for everything short of domestic jobs. He's kind of become a mentor in a week, and fate has dropped him out of the sky at just the right moment! Thank you M.A.!
Although I still need to pass the Japanese interview with some native speakers at Berlitz they have already asked me to work on Saturday... They want to train me in two short days (Thursday/Friday) and then perform an evaluation for some new students on the weekend. They sound really desperate--the timing couldn't be better!
I will only be teaching basic Japanese, and focusing mainly on conversations. One of the students the director mentioned is going to live in Japan in a few months and is looking to get some more practice before he leaves. Oh! The stories I could share with him!!
So I'm really excited. I was jumping and dancing ...and yes, even screaming when I got off the phone. I can't believe how easy it was! The interview is on Thursday so keep your fingers crossed for me!
If worse comes to worse I can always teach English and in 3 months I get free classes to advance my own language of choice!!
(-_-! ...meh. however you make those darn things look happy....
Comments:
<< Home
Hi Sie! I got your Christmas present yesterday! Thank you so much. I can't believe you MADE that bag. It looks totally professional. Otsukare! Things are hectic and totally slow at the same time. I'll check in with your blog more often, I promise. Good luck with the interview. And remember, you are a Japanese speaking goddess! You will RULE that position. Rock on! ~ Dawn
Post a Comment
<< Home
