Saturday, August 12, 2006
Welcome Teresa!
Teresa and Melissa.
Yuki, me and Vicky on the other side of the table. Teresa asked if I had just been for a run because of the towel around the neck. Oh no! It's just Takaitabi-Style!! Why try to hide it?--it's humid and I've been packing and moving all day! Pretty much everyone's a sweaty mess in the summer!
And some other random pictures I've found.
Sawa already knows about the best computer on the market.
I made a heart-shaped apple pie for Yuki. He's been so impressed with my baking this summer. I tried to use up all my ingredients before I left and Yuki reaped the benefits by getting apple pies, pumpkin pies, quiches and banana bread for weeks!!
This last picture is Shian, Yuki's second mother. She's actually his great aunt or something, but when Yuki was growing up Shian took care of him every day. In fact, when Yuki's real mother would get home from work and Shian would go home, Yuki would stand at the gate crying and crying and begging Shian not to leave. They still have a wonderful relationship now.
Shian doesn't have any children, so it really seems like Yuki is her son. And she immediately accepted me, too. When we go drinking, Shian will be our designated driver--staying up until 1 a.m. to drive us home! We always eat meals together or hang out in town. She's over 70 years old, but is very active and has an I-can-do-anything attitude. At a barbecue recently Shian and I started dancing to Beyonce together. It was so much fun!
Many people think Narao is VERY far from the north end of the island. It's about a 40 minute drive and I made it several times every week for two years so I don't think it's much, but many people who live up north have never even BEEN to Narao!!! However Shian drove down to help me clean my apartment and wave good-bye to me at the ferry port. Here she is in my apartment a couple hours before my departure.
I'm going to miss Shian so much in Tokyo. Will there be kind old ladies who will take care of me like she did? I think she's a treasure!