Saturday, August 12, 2006

Goodbye Goto. Hello New Life.

I have officially left the island. I am in transition between this life and the next. My new home is Tokyo. I have to say it to myself, because it still hasn't sunk in.

I'll share some pictures Yuki gave me of our place in Tokyo. This is our yellow couch.



The floor plan, red lines are windows. There is a 3 and 6-tatami room, plus kitchen and toilet. No shower or air conditioning. Yuki says it's very old.



I spent last night in Nagasaki with Dawn. She has transfered from Ojika (her island in the Gotos) to the big city! Her apartment has the same size rooms as ours in Tokyo so it was good to get a visual. It's not impossibly small!

Dawn's new school, Nagasaki West, has almost 1,000 students and clubs such as water polo, camping, and kendo. I'm a bit jealous I didn't apply for a transfer and move to the city with her, but then I know I couldn't do another year of ALT teaching. I'm ready to move on to the next thing!

Speaking of "the next thing," I started job searching again yesterday. Right now I'm only scanning job posting on gaijinpot.com, and there are so many English jobs out there. I haven't applied to anything yet for three reasons: I'm not Tokyo yet, and they all seem to want an interview NOW; I'm not orientated in Tokyo yet so I don't know what jobs are close to me and which would be long commutes on crowded trains; and finally because I'm not even sure what type of job I'm looking for. There's the 9-5 M-F job with adults or children, part-time jobs, or private English teaching with individuals or small groups in coffee shops.

Since I know I'll only be working until December (and now it's only looking like two months because my mom and George are visiting in November and of course I want to travel back to Goto with them) I don't want to start jobs that are going to leave an employer hanging in just a couple months. Yuki guarantees that it'll be no problem to find a job, but I don't want to be dishonest about my schedule either!! I guess private English teaching is the best option and I'm finding several website that connect teachers with students. Maybe Yuki can connect me with some students too.

My subway stop, Shinkoenji.



Yesterday I came to Fukuoka to take care of some errands. My new computer is too slow when I use iPhoto, and I needed to check if it was the RAM or another problem. Turns out it's the RAM. 512 doesn't cut it anymore! I should have just put in 1GB when I ordered it, but now I'm stuck with the decision of ordering and installing it now. Jun, the genius at the Apple Store who helped me, was so friendly!! In the 4 hours I spent at the Genius Bar, I developed a bit of a crush on him!!! He spoke perfect English and was truly a genius. He replaced my dirty top case (a defect with the new MacBooks) and offered to help me buy RAM off the internet for half the price of Apple RAM and install it for free on his own time!! I'm trying to decide if I can afford it...

I did lots of window shopping while waiting for the computer repairs. I usually feel so uncomfortable shopping alone in the city, but I'm starting to get used to it. (I suppose it's just in time, right?!) The Japanese women who work in department stores are always so perfect. Hair, make-up and clothes without a flaw---it makes me feel so underdressed and insecure!! I feel like I was never meant to be a city girl ...and definitely not in a Japanese city!! Will Tokyo be shocking!?!?

Have you gotten my postcard? I sent out my new address and contact information on postcards that look (sorta) like this:


Well, this is the Japanese version. You probably have the English version. Let me know if you didn't get yours yet!


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter