Sunday, July 09, 2006
Nina stays awake in Japan
It was a full day, getting off the ferry at 6 a.m. after only 4-6 hours of sleep. I wouldn't let her nap--kept her going all day long so she can adjust sooner.
Nina tastes her first sembei, breakfast in Japan!
Nina hangs with a "toro" at Dazaifu shrine.
Trying to photograph of ourselves... never really works.
Nina poses in front a parade float thingy. There's a festival next weekend and these were all over the city.
Another of these--they carry them on their shoulders around town.
Nina in Canal City.
Back on the island, Nina unpacks her bag and I "furiously consume" my Reese's Peanut Butter cups immediately!! I could barely pause to take a picture.
And Nina practices her Japanese manners. This is the way we sit on couches in Japan.
Nina thinks she's disgusting from many days without sleep so she refuses to have her picture taken.
Sunday afternoon we went to hike Sannozan, the tallest mountain on my island. On the way, we met this skiier who waved for us.
We start hiking up Sannozan.
We met a little caterpillar. He was so cute we took many, too many pictures.
Nina and the caterpillar.
Caterpillar on a stick.
Me with our friend.
At the top of Sannozan there's a small temple. We took off our shoes, went inside, rang the bell and made a wish.
Nina relaxes inside the temple.
A little higher and there's an observation deck at the top.
Setting up the camera for a picture of the two of us.
The beautiful view. The beautiful Nina.
Nina meditating.
Legs.
Feet.
We've decided we're twins, separated at birth. Look at those profiles!!!
This is my island!
Some spiral flowers we found on the hike back down.
A bit from Nina:
When we arrived at Sierra's apartment on Sunday morning, after an all night trip on the ferry, we unpacked, showered, hit the grocery store, made sushi wraps for lunch and then took advantage of the humid but relatively cooler than it could be weather to take a hike up the tallest mountain on the island. We had the mountain to ourselves and enjoyed the top for about an hour before heading back down.
On our way back home we stopped by Sierra's friend's home where we were offered tea and fruit and Sierra translated everything for us. Her Japanese is amazing! We talked about everything from veganism to arm hair (Japanese don't have any). It was nice. Japanese people are truly friendly and exceptionally kind. I like them a lot.
Last night we made more rice for dinner and I was out at 8pm. In the middle of the night the typhoon arrived and we woke up to close windows and peer out at the sideways rain and incredible winds. This morning we are still hiding out inside (Sierra called in sick to spend the day with me) and hope to make a trip to the grocery store later for some more water and, of course, some of those yummy fried croquette things I love so much. Meanwhile, the typhoon rages on outside...
Hmm, I see I made a bunch of typos but cant fix them now.
Havent heard from NOEL. I wrote to him last week. MOM
<< Home
