Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Cookies and School

Nina and I made cookies on Monday to take to classes today. They were going pretty well, until Nina tried microwaving the last batch. That didn't work so well.

Proof:



Of course, she didn't mean to microwave them. The two-in-one microwave/oven I have isn't the easiest to read ...in Japanese.

However, not wanting to waste, I had to eat them.

So I ate six burnt cookies. They were gooood.

Nina refused to eat any of the cookies (except the two I saw her sneak) because they are, and I quote, "Disgusting."

Here are the good cookies.



Monday I called in sick, but actually ended up spending the whole day cooking, vacuuming and scrubbing. Nina practiced her "Japanese manners" on my couch.

Here's a little story we made:



But, at least we've found something that is easy to cook and Nina really loves. CURRY!! Japanese curry is not spicy and doesn't have coconut milk which makes Nina tummy bad. We I made it with just vegetables and udon noodles, leaving out the meat 'cause she's vegan. Next time we'll I'll make it with rice!

Nina took some pictures of my apartment to show her friends and family.

My patriotic dish rack.



And my "genkan" or entry where we take off our shoes before coming inside.



Today I found MORE mold around the shoes. That's where I spent hours cleaning mold just a week ago.

It's really hard to stay on top of this!

Today we had five classes at the high school. The kids in every class asked Nina why she doesn't eat meat. Unlike most Americans who aren't satisfied with a simple, "I don't like the idea of killing animals," the students said, "Sugooooi!" They thought it was cool. It's pretty unusual to be vegetarian in Japan, nevermind vegan.

I'm sure it was the first time they've heard the word vegan, but we quickly pointed out who the vegan was, and marked her for the pictures.



My students gave me lots of good-bye speeches, letters and sang me songs. Here are the last two pictures from school. I gotta post quickly, then we gotta go cook some dinner!!!



A message on the chalkboard.


Comments:
sierra is so beautiful .

uki
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter