Friday, April 21, 2006

A heavy drunker

A woman at the grocery store yesterday came up to me and asked me why I never came over to her house. She said seen me with my younger sister "that time before" and why hadn't I come over? While I have seen her once or twice before, she has never invited me to her house, but she seemed a bit peeved that I hadn't come.

It was a bit hard to get away from her (nevermind understand her) so I asked my friendly grocer for support. He said something like, "You must be thinking of someone else. Her sister came last summer, but it was a long time ago." Of course, who else would she be thinking of? How many foreigners and their sisters come into that store? I asked him about peanut butter or something and we went off together, but she continued to chase me through the store. I came back to the check out line and bought my groceries quickly before racing out with a quick smile.

I thought I was safe, but as I was getting the key in the ignition, the woman rounded the bend and came to my car door.

"My house is close. Just come over! Please! It's right here."

I rolled down the window to say I was sorry. I had to go back to work now, but she wasn't convinced. She reached up to open my door, just as I reached over to lock it. But then she continued to pull on the handle.

"Open the door! Open the door! Please come to my house."

Now I was feeling a bit weird. People were walking past watching this woman fruitlessly pull on my door handle and begging me to come over. Was I being rude? Was I being too cautious to decline her offer? And how was I going to get out of there?

It was only about two minutes, but that seems like a long time to be apologizing and coming up with excuses. I wondered if maybe she was sick. Of course, I thought she might have Alzheimer's and did I need to do something to help her?

I did finally get away--I just had to back out with her standing there at my door, and I did find out what her story is. My grocer told me today that she is just a "heavy drunker" and yesterday she was especially drunk.

Why don't I figure these things out on my own? To be fair, it was four-thirty in the afternoon and I didn't smell alcohol, but alcohol always the last thing I suspect anyway. My kids will be able to get anything past me!!

Anyway, just a weird encounter...
How was your day?

Comments:
WEIRD. Really, really weird.
 
yeah, it was weird!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter