Thursday, February 23, 2006

clap your hands and stomp your feet

It’s Friday afternoon. The staffroom is quiet because most teachers have gone home early. Today’s the warmest it’s been all year and I just can’t wait to get out of here and enjoy the last of the sunshine for the day. 12 minutes and counting.

I’m enjoying school again. This month I’ve been pretty sick and tired of this whole-teaching-thing. I was just fed up with a lot of things, and I’m glad I’m finally pulling out of that funk. Elementary schools always do that to me, though. I had three days of elementary school this week because of finals at the high school. Those genki and lovable kids usually bring out the best in me.

Recently I’ve been singing a lot of “If You’re Happy and You Know It,” and I LOVE leading the kids through all the clapping, stomping, knee slapping and “Hooray!” shouting. I get all bouncy and cheerful and the kids follow me like lemmings. It almost makes me want to be an elementary school teacher, but when I think about how exhausted I am at the end of those days… I already look years older than I am (27-years-old according to one student today) and I don't need to age any faster than I'm already going.

Spring sunshine and a quiet afternoon,
Sierra

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter