Sunday, December 11, 2005
The procrastinators get the deals.
Lots got done this weekend. I have finally made plans for the winter break. I haven’t made any reservations and dates may change by a day or two, but the major plan is set in stone. (As set in stone as my life ever is.)
Dec. 23-30 South Korea (with Yasutaka until Dec 27, then probably continue alone)
Dec. 31- Jan 2 New Year’s with Sanae’s family on Kamigoto
Jan 3-9 Taipei, Taiwan with Danielle
Waiting until the last minute wasn’t as stressful as I expected. I’ve been so happy this month that I realized even if I spent most of my time of this island I would still feel like it was a great vacation.
So, South Korea—I’ll be going over on the ferry from Fukuoka and while I initially intended on going alone I met a nice guy this weekend, Yasu, who has the time, money and wants to come! Yasu, who I met at a party in Sasebo this weekend, is 24 and is going off to graduate school in America at the end of the month. He’s kind of killing time until he leaves and after spending the whole night talking we decided to go together. That’s that!
New Years—I wanted to spend New Years on the island with a Japanese family (this holiday is the equivalent of a Christmas in America, essentially a family affair while Christmas tends to be spent with your boyfriend or girlfriend.) and Sanae’s family has graciously invited me to join in their celebrations: making special foods and spending time under the kotatsu. Sanae and I will climb a mountain near her house just before the sun rises so we can bear witness to the start of 2006.
Taipei—Danielle is an acquaintance in Sasebo (it was her party that I met Yasu at this weekend) was just looking for someone to travel with and I wanted some place cheap so Taiwan it is! I’ll be getting our tickets early this week. Not only do I love this plan, but it’s going to be cheap, cheap, cheap!!!
I forgot to put the memory disk back in my camera before I left this weekend, but Yasu’s coming to Goto next weekend and I’ll get some pictures then. Yasu has promised to get me talking with his father about the current exchange rate problem and how to invest in some Japanese stocks so I can make the most of my yen while I’m here. Based on the number of buildings Yasu pointed to and said “My father owns it,” as we walked through downtown Sasebo, I’m guessing Dad’s got some worthwhile advice.
Dec. 23-30 South Korea (with Yasutaka until Dec 27, then probably continue alone)
Dec. 31- Jan 2 New Year’s with Sanae’s family on Kamigoto
Jan 3-9 Taipei, Taiwan with Danielle
Waiting until the last minute wasn’t as stressful as I expected. I’ve been so happy this month that I realized even if I spent most of my time of this island I would still feel like it was a great vacation.
So, South Korea—I’ll be going over on the ferry from Fukuoka and while I initially intended on going alone I met a nice guy this weekend, Yasu, who has the time, money and wants to come! Yasu, who I met at a party in Sasebo this weekend, is 24 and is going off to graduate school in America at the end of the month. He’s kind of killing time until he leaves and after spending the whole night talking we decided to go together. That’s that!
New Years—I wanted to spend New Years on the island with a Japanese family (this holiday is the equivalent of a Christmas in America, essentially a family affair while Christmas tends to be spent with your boyfriend or girlfriend.) and Sanae’s family has graciously invited me to join in their celebrations: making special foods and spending time under the kotatsu. Sanae and I will climb a mountain near her house just before the sun rises so we can bear witness to the start of 2006.
Taipei—Danielle is an acquaintance in Sasebo (it was her party that I met Yasu at this weekend) was just looking for someone to travel with and I wanted some place cheap so Taiwan it is! I’ll be getting our tickets early this week. Not only do I love this plan, but it’s going to be cheap, cheap, cheap!!!
I forgot to put the memory disk back in my camera before I left this weekend, but Yasu’s coming to Goto next weekend and I’ll get some pictures then. Yasu has promised to get me talking with his father about the current exchange rate problem and how to invest in some Japanese stocks so I can make the most of my yen while I’m here. Based on the number of buildings Yasu pointed to and said “My father owns it,” as we walked through downtown Sasebo, I’m guessing Dad’s got some worthwhile advice.