Sunday, December 18, 2005

Cake-eater. Nail-biter.

I’ve eaten more pieces of cake in the last three days than I really care to admit. Now I’m biting my nails over it.

Yasu came out to Kamigoto on Thursday after school and it sort of felt that my weekend began there. It’s now Sunday and I feel like it just had a very full, four-day weekend. School’s been crazy with extra lessons and Christmas parties. I think this is the first time I’ve ever been sincerely busy in both my personal and professional life.

Poor Yasu. Not only did he cook every meal for us while he was here, but he also put up with me when I feel asleep at 10:30 on Friday night. Don’t you hate it when you pretend to be sleeping and then actually fall asleep? He came all the way out here (on a very rough sea) to cook me dinner and watch me sleep.

Saturday was great because we got to spend the day together. After eating a delicious Japanese breakfast (guess who cooked that) we went up north to spend time with Lori and Andy (whom he was anxious to see again after meeting at the Sasebo party). He also got to meet Sanae before he returned to Sasebo for his mom’s birthday party. I wish he could have stayed Saturday night as that’s when the fun really began. But perhaps it’s for the best that he didn’t see me dancing crazily until 1 a.m. in the karaoke bar last night. He may never have called again.

Despite a temporary scare, our plans to go to Korea are full-speed ahead. He’s booking our ferry tickets and we’ll leave next Friday or Saturday after meeting the parents. I’m not sure how I feel about that commotion, but I apparently already made a good first impression by sending Goto udon home for Mom’s birthday.

Now I’m just trying to keep warm in this freezing apartment. We got official snow this weekend, but it was only on the road for a few minutes (the few minutes I had to drive, of course) and now there’s nothing left to show for it. Sometimes you can see a few flakes gathering on the side of the road, but it’s nothing to call home about.

This week I’ve got two “Forget the Year” parties with my karate crew and the high school teachers, a cooking class at the elementary school, four Christmas parties with students, and oodles of New Year cards to buy, write and send. Two late nights of drinking and merry-making in a row are going to wipe me out. Luckily it’s a four day week and then holiday as far as the eye can see.

Thinking of all the things I need to do before Thursday makes my head spin.

Comments:
Oh, not so fast! I'm already used to it!
For those who don't know, an isoro (居候) is a lodger who pays nothing for room and board; a freeloader; a sponger.
Yasu was not an isoro, but he was a good cook!! Thanks so much.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter