Tuesday, November 22, 2005
I'm Thankful for Sumo!
A few teachers today tried to tell me it’s because I drink “raw” tap water, but I’ve been drinking this water for a year and a half and I really doubt, all of a sudden, it’s a problem for me. It’s gotta be the exposure to more children. We all know schools are breeding grounds for germs and I have four of them.
And next week because of testing at the high school I’ve got four consecutive elementary school visits. I love ‘em, but they’re taihen!
So, I slept 11 hours yesterday and I’m feeling okay. Good enough to post some pictures from the weekend.
Sumo wrestlers entering the building.
The omiyage shops in the sumo venue.
The ONLY picture I got of the actual ring! Did you know women are not allowed to set foot in the sumo ring?
The flags outside the sumo building. I think each major wrestler has his own flag, but I’m just speculating.
Dawn and me outside the building waiting for Taka to pick us up.
Cruising around in Fukuoka.
Tomoko and me drinking Starbucks at Canal City. My new favorite drink: warm soymilk!
Eating dinner at “Chanto,” an izakaiya in Canal City.
This was a very fun meal.
The next day Tomoko and Sumi took me around their area of Fukuoka. This is at the closest beach to their home. I think I look hilarious in this picture so I’m swallowing my pride to post it—it was just a little bright that morning and you can see my World’s Biggest Squint!
Sumi and me—not facing the sun!!
Jack and Rose.
A windsurfer.
Comet. Can you guess who he’s named after? I know you know this dog—he’s world famous and looks just like this one.
Me standing next to Shingo’s sculpture.
I had a good day at elementary school today. I taught them about Thanksgiving (the Pilgrims and the Native Americans and everything!!) by giving a puppet show and then asking them what they were thankful for. I got some really good responses, even from third graders. Family, grandparents, friends, pets, school, teachers, food, water, games, etc. Afterwards we did a craft. They traced their hands, made turkeys and wrote what they were thankful for in English.
I think they enjoyed a change in English lesson as well. We usually follow a “listen to Sierra and repeat after her” format, but I wanted to try something different today. The teachers were a little hesitant so it was difficult explain my ideas to them, but it turned out really well in three of four classes. Some teachers just “get it” and teaching anything with them is fun, others are more challenging. All the kids liked coloring, cutting, pasting and even writing in English!! I got lots of “Yatta!” and “Sugoi!” in my class.
Here’s the poster we made with the 4th grade students. Now they have something from English class to hang on their walls!
Love, Sierra
-Steve
<< Home

