Wednesday, October 05, 2005

A Rough Day on Tokashiki

I woke up early to go to Moho Island (I can’t actually remember the name of the island so “Moho” will be the temporary (or permanent) substitute). While waiting to board I see some brochures for a minshuku and scuba and the kanji for the island looks a little different than I remembered. At some point then or while on the ferry I realize I’m not going to Moho Island at all, but rather Tokashiki.

It’s fine, I guess. I had no plans either way. So I arrive at Tokashiki, get off the ferry and board a random bus although I have no idea where it’s going. HEY! It only costs ¥250!

I end up at this beautiful beach.



For a grand total of $15 I rent an umbrella, snorkel and mask for the day. I was content for hours upon hours. Snorkeling, reading, then napping under the umbrella. Repeat process. I really enjoyed snorkeling. It takes no effort whatsoever—it’s so easy to float at the surface of the water and watch the fish. I never really understood how snorkeling worked. I didn’t realize coral beds were so close to the surface. It’s much cheaper and easier than scuba diving, but still just as fun. I got a nice tan on my legs and back but didn’t have to sunbathe for it.

I LOATHE sunbathing. So hot and miserable. You just sit there in your own sweat while you roast away like a potato in the oven. Wouldn’t you rather do something fun?!?!

I hiked up to a lookout point.

It’s hard to take a picture of yourself. One point against traveling alone.



These serene surroundings all to yourself. A thousand points for traveling alone.



This is the closest thing to a sunset I saw in all my days in Okinawa. It was beautiful, but I would have liked to see a proper one on the beach. Next time!



At the end of this *very exhausting* day, I get on the bus back to the boat and the boat back to Okinawa. On the boat I meet a very, very wonderful Japanese couple. The woman’s name is Mai, but I can’t remember the guy’s. Both have great English, but Mai is far more chatty.

We got along so well we decided to go out for dinner together. We found a great place, order up a bunch of Okinawan food and sit back to listen to a man with his shisan (Okinawan guitar covered in snake skin). A great night! Mai and I talk like old girlfriends!

Me and my new friends.



I am happy.

Love, Sierra


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter