Saturday, October 01, 2005

誕生日おめでとうございます。

“Tanjobi omedeto gozaimasu.”
(For Ken who asked how to say it in Japanese.)

I was surprised when I received my first two keitai emails at three and four minutes past midnight on September 30th. My family isn’t usually attentive like that and a certain ex-boyfriend—whose name I won’t mention, but let’s say it begins with “H” and ends with “arald”—well, he didn’t “believe” in birthdays so I learned to accept receiving a this-is-NOT-a-birthday-present present a couple days after the fact.

However, the Japanese are very conscientious about things like this so I began my celebration days early with a surprise cake and snacks from my eikaiwa classes, was greeted in the classroom with students standing on chairs and singing me the Happy Birthday Song, chalkboards full of colorful messages and pictures, and received presents from school teachers, friends and karate teachers! The birthday wishes didn’t stop all day and then when I finally got home at 10 o’clock, Masaharu had made a Birthday Present Scavenger Hunt with clues written on pieces of paper and hidden all over the apartment and small presents leading up to the big one which I could only find after reorganizing the letters a-a-d-e-n-r-v (which is not easy, you try it!) and the only hint being “it’s a place where your present is hidden.” Needless to say, I felt very loved this year!!!

My cake from Thursday eikaiwa.



Two of my students and Hatakeyama-sensei’s daughter—no flash so nice “warm” tones!



1-1 Class—the genkiest birthday song ever!



The chalkboard.



Fumiya rewriting “I Love You” in kanji on the board.



They love me. Here’s the proof.



Two studs from class. Shota and Masaaki.



The plant from Masaharu.



And the fun’s not over yet!!

One good thing about living in a different time zone is that most people back home don’t exactly know when I’m celebrating my birthday. Therefore, not only do I get to celebrate my birthday a little early and on time here in Japan, but I continue receiving birthday greetings all throughout the next day (when my birthday actually reaches American time zones). Add on all the belated birthday wishes, which are inevitable any given year, and my birthday has already gone on for a full week! Ducks aren’t this lucky!!

Thank you everyone who sent iCards, eCards, and mailed Cards.
I appreciated all your computer emails, cell phone emails and phone calls.
Such kind words and caring thoughts were sent my way!

WOW… This is too much! Two minutes ago I just received a beautiful bouquet of flowers from my friend Shingo on Fukue. He sent them to my school today! I’ve never been sent flowers at work before! They are absolutely gorgeous!




Domo arigato gozaimasu!! …and since I just bowed my head to my computer, please [insert deep bow.]

Love from the happiest birthday girl ever,
Sierra


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter