Tuesday, September 27, 2005
ただいま
I’m back from Okinawa and I’m as happy as a clam! Although before I left I was very uncertain about the success of my first vacation with just me, myself and I, I had an Amazing time. That’s amazing with a capital “A.”
Sometimes when I go to the movies alone or go shopping alone and sit down for a meal in a restaurant, I can go for hours without really speaking a word to anyone. Even though I am surrounded by other shoppers or restaurant goers, it can be a very silent affair when I’m all by myself. This isn’t when I’m busy and rushing around doing errands, but when I’m window shopping or enjoying a slow meal. Just striking up conversations with strangers can be very intimidating so I often stay silent. My family may disagree as they rarely see me intimidated OR silent, but it’s a whole new ball game when I’m by my lonesome.
So when you’re traveling and sightseeing, the whole purpose is to take it slow and enjoy your surroundings, but I was worried I might get into that rut of not speaking to anyone (not only because striking up the conversation is hard, but then doing it in Japanese in which I’m barely conversable). As you can see, I imagined the 10 days could pass very quietly and very slowly.
So when I arrived I was determined not to get spend all my time in my capsule at the guest house, but go out and see the city. As soon as I dropped off my bags I left and walked and walked until I found myself at Kokusaidori, the “International Street” (but essentially it is just “The Shopping Street”). While it was a quiet walk, I was enjoying taking everything at my own pace. (Thank God for keitai-emailing in restaurants, though!) Then I found the Information Center and heard about a special concert happening at Shuri Castle that night.
I took the train there and outside the gates I met three Japanese women who asked me to take their picture. They also took mine and we got to talking. They were surprised that I was traveling alone and said it was “cool.” In fact, I was quite enjoying myself by that time and while I felt I could stick around and chat more if I wanted, I didn’t *need* to. I said goodbye and continued exploring the castle grounds.
And as it turns out, that’s how I spent the rest of the week. Running into people, making short conversations and sometimes moving on, and sometimes spending all day (or even multiple days) with these strangers. I became well known at the hostel as “the girl who leaves early and comes back late” and I quite liked that reputation because, for me, it meant I was overcoming my fear (…of being too fearful). I met two incredible Japanese guys and one marvelous Japanese couple and I learned that I’m not only capable of traveling alone, but it can even be fun! Besides, how often are you truely alone in this world?
I’m off to karate now (I’ve been told if I don’t start going every once in a while I’m going not going to be able to take my brown belt test in October—but I’ve been on vacaaation since the end of July!!!!) but I’ll tell more stories when I get back.
Your traveler,
Sierra
Sometimes when I go to the movies alone or go shopping alone and sit down for a meal in a restaurant, I can go for hours without really speaking a word to anyone. Even though I am surrounded by other shoppers or restaurant goers, it can be a very silent affair when I’m all by myself. This isn’t when I’m busy and rushing around doing errands, but when I’m window shopping or enjoying a slow meal. Just striking up conversations with strangers can be very intimidating so I often stay silent. My family may disagree as they rarely see me intimidated OR silent, but it’s a whole new ball game when I’m by my lonesome.
So when you’re traveling and sightseeing, the whole purpose is to take it slow and enjoy your surroundings, but I was worried I might get into that rut of not speaking to anyone (not only because striking up the conversation is hard, but then doing it in Japanese in which I’m barely conversable). As you can see, I imagined the 10 days could pass very quietly and very slowly.
So when I arrived I was determined not to get spend all my time in my capsule at the guest house, but go out and see the city. As soon as I dropped off my bags I left and walked and walked until I found myself at Kokusaidori, the “International Street” (but essentially it is just “The Shopping Street”). While it was a quiet walk, I was enjoying taking everything at my own pace. (Thank God for keitai-emailing in restaurants, though!) Then I found the Information Center and heard about a special concert happening at Shuri Castle that night.
I took the train there and outside the gates I met three Japanese women who asked me to take their picture. They also took mine and we got to talking. They were surprised that I was traveling alone and said it was “cool.” In fact, I was quite enjoying myself by that time and while I felt I could stick around and chat more if I wanted, I didn’t *need* to. I said goodbye and continued exploring the castle grounds.
And as it turns out, that’s how I spent the rest of the week. Running into people, making short conversations and sometimes moving on, and sometimes spending all day (or even multiple days) with these strangers. I became well known at the hostel as “the girl who leaves early and comes back late” and I quite liked that reputation because, for me, it meant I was overcoming my fear (…of being too fearful). I met two incredible Japanese guys and one marvelous Japanese couple and I learned that I’m not only capable of traveling alone, but it can even be fun! Besides, how often are you truely alone in this world?
I’m off to karate now (I’ve been told if I don’t start going every once in a while I’m going not going to be able to take my brown belt test in October—but I’ve been on vacaaation since the end of July!!!!) but I’ll tell more stories when I get back.
Your traveler,
Sierra
Comments:
<< Home
Sierra! I miss you. mosugu aimashou! I want to hear all about your vacation. Good luck with the race this weekend. It'd be more fun if were were spending it together! lobe, Ojika
Post a Comment
<< Home
