Thursday, July 21, 2005

Just the first day!

A photo journal from Steven and Joelle’s first day on Kamigoto! It was a very full day starting at 6 a.m. when they arrived off the Taiko from Fukuoka.

First we went to Takaitabi, but the undercurrent looked really dangerous! That's Narao JHS in the background.



Me washing my feet before getting back into the car.



Then I took them north on “the green road” on the east side of the island. When we were in Iwaseura we met the Meg Milk Man. Here’s Joelle, the Meg Man and Steven. He is the father of my student, Shiho, and he always gives me free juices or drinks when I see him. This time we gave us three yogurt drinks and a smile for our picture! Thanks Meg Man!



A beautiful view of Tainoura Bay.



The tiger lilies are in bloom.



Abunai yo!! Steven (the future firefighter) can’t just leave the ladder alone! “If you fall, I am NOT taking you to the hospital!”



Then we hiked up Yaguridake in Arikawa to get a nice view of all the islands. Only 10 a.m. on their first day and I already had them climbing mountains!

“You sooo did not just bear hug my sunburn, did you Steven?”



Joelle hugs nicely… This is the view from (almost the top of) Yaguridake. Mama and I climbed this together in April. It’s also where I met まぁ for the first time too.



I think sweaty pits are RAD!



I like that it’s not just the pits that sweat—it’s the whole shoulder! (I was wearing a tanktop underneath which prevented my shirt from getting soaked through anywhere but the pits and shoulders. Is this not disgusting!)



Finally! Someone in Japan who can appreciate my adoration for Nalgene! I’m in good company!



While hiking back down Yaguridake we saw a snake! 10 points for the first person to identify it!



After that hike we deserved some lunch! I took them to have Goto udon, of course!

Zaru udon! Nothing like iced-noodles on a hot day!



Then we went to the Secret Beach in Nao. We got there in record time!! Steven demonstrates the Kuro Kuma-Kun Death Grip. Hold on!



I love this picture which Joelle took from the backseat. The keychain hanging from my rearview mirror is a piece of fabric from a kimono given to me by my friends Sumi and Tomoko in Fukuoka.



Joelle and I in the warm ocean water!



Steven says it’s his first time to a tropic beach paradise! I say, it’s not exactly tropical, but it’s pretty beautiful, isn’t it!



“Come join us on the rocks, Joelle!”



“Steven! Watch out!”



Steven says, “Look! I’ve never seen such small fish!”
“Those are mosquito larvae, Steven.”



We went back to Narao for a shower and to meet Catherine very quickly (she’s leaving for Tokyo tomorrow). After an hour of trying to keep Joelle from falling asleep (i.e drinking coffee) we went to our eikaiwa party which started at 6:30 in Aokata. Joelle and Steven meeting Mizorogi-san.



So much good food!



We all tried sazae and I was able to eat it! The way it was prepared tonight—lots of garlic and butter and chopped into small bite-size pieces—made it look edible!



Breaking out the big bottles!



Joelle and I and all the women! We couldn’t have asked for a better bunch!



I’m on top of the world today!
Love, Sierra

Clicking on this link takes you to the next post.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter