Monday, July 18, 2005
海の日
I got royally burned this weekend. I don’t think I’ll ever learn the sunscreen lesson. I blame it on my mother. I don't wear makeup but I like brown skin. Mom's fault.
Monday was Umi no Hi—Beach Day and so the beaches were full of people this weekend. Misty, who came over from Fukue to visit me, and I spent only a few hours at Hamaguri Beach on Sunday, but it was plenty of time to get charred. Today I look like the Coppertone girl—white butt with pink legs. It’s pretty uncomfortable, but some friends gave me an aloe plant and rubbing it over my naked body while I sit in front of the fan really helps.
I slept for a few hours this evening and now I’ve woken up and done some cleaning and preparing for my guests arrival. Wednesday morning—just over 30 hours until they’re on this island. My apartment still needs some cleaning, but it looks much better than it has in a few weeks. My tatami have finally started molding so they require a bit more attention now. Everyone exaggerated the moldy tatami though—they only mold a tiny bit and usually only in the corners that don’t get much sunlight and are near one of my houseplants (the extra moisture, I assume). I thought every mat would be completely moldy twice a day for at least a month. Not the case. They are mostly dry now and turning the beautiful tan color. The dehumidifier may have also helped keep my apartment dry.
Saturday’s cooking class went well. I worried too much about the presentation—or perhaps I worried just enough—because it seemed to go fine. I didn’t realize everything would be translated shortly after I said it, and it was perfect because it gave me enough time to think what I would say next.
Peter took some pictures of my demonstrations. I love my new cow apron, don’t you?
Hand-rolling tortillas from masa.
Slicing up some onions. I was a complete mess chopping. I have no rhyme or reason to my slicing and dicing and I think I shocked the Japanese who have a system for every vegetable. Vegetables were everywhere by the time I was done because I was trying to do it quickly so as not to bore everyone.
After class I picked up a friend from work and we climbed Sannozan. I’ve wanted to climb this mountain forever so I’m so happy I finally did it! It was really hot, but the path is almost completely shaded by trees and there was a breeze too. I enjoyed every minute of the three hour hike. The view from the top is amazing.
An awesome spiderweb which we almost walked right into. Thankfully まぁ spotted it at the last second—it would have been a faceful. This may be the biggest web I’ve ever seen. It was several feet in diameter. Smack-dab in the middle of the road, so the strings stretched from the trees on both sides of the road. Spiders are cool even if they do look gross.
The sky. (Seeing a couple pictures from the ground because I was so tired once we reached the top I couldn’t stay on my feet any longer.)
My friend who I climbed it with.
Yeah, the cooking class, hiking with まぁ, showing Misty around Goto, getting roasted on the beach, rubbing aloe over my lobster body. That about sums up the my three day weekend. The AC is feeling good now.
May not be posting for a while (or possibly three weeks) while Joelle, Steven and I travel around Japan.
Summer is here.
Sierra
Do we HAVE to talk about this?