Saturday, May 28, 2005
Curiosity Killed The Cat
This is Teru.
Teru is a DJ, he loves music.
Teru wanted to see some of Kamigoto, so he came out this weekend. I showed him the best parts of Kamigoto.
I also showed him some funny parts of my island.
These deer stood in the middle of the road for a long time.
It was my first time to this “Deer Island” and all I could say was “chotto hen.” We didn’t know what to make of it.
It was fun having a visitor on my island, and there were never any cultural problems that some people warned me might arise. I should trust my instincts. On Sunday he drove me to the Fukuoka Bullet Train Station where I met Catherine and then we went to Kobe together.
My favorite word Teru taught me was “bimyo” and it means “so-so.” Not that we say so-so, but you know what I mean. “Alriiiight, Okaaay. Sorta good, but not great.”
I also named his car. I named it Hunter. Hunter Toyoda. It’s not a Toyota, but Toyoda is Teru’s last name.
And also this weekend I was explaining to Teru that in America the company is Toyota, not Toyoda and then I couldn’t remember if it really was Toyota or not. Do we spell it with a “t” or a “d?” I couldn’t remember, but I know we definitely SAY “Toyoda” even if it’s spelled Toyota. So yeah, someone do some research on that for me. Which is it?
Japan spells and pronounces it “Toyoda.” Britain spells and pronounces it “Toyota.” In Australia it’s spelled “Toyota” but pronounced “Toyoda.” I think it’s the same in America.
Here’s a map that shows where people come from. Specifically, people who visit my website. Lots of west coasters, but even more Japaners. That surprised me because I think of my website as targeted to my family and friends back home, but even more people living in Japan read it. Also, a fair number on the east coast or somewhere in South America. Who could that be? David in Chile? Is that you? And then I’ve got some Indian readership as well. I bet I know who you are! The Middle East readership, small as it is, surprised me a lot. Who is it? Did someone out there stubble across my website?
The bar for “Japan Standard Time” is a little off. I’m not sure why but I think it has something to do with the fact that there’s no daylight savings here. So maybe the East Coast/South America readers are actually Mid-west readers and that’s just my mom… But there's definitely someone in Eastern Europe/Africa or the Middle East there. I want to know who you are!
Bye-bye, Sierra
the next post has nothing to do with farts
