Monday, April 04, 2005
The Mother's Ship Has Landed
And everything has to be documented. So these pictures are from Monday’s travel to Sasebo and then our arrival on the island.
This is Sasebo.
There’s a US Naval Base here so there are a lot of Americans. It’s not a great city, in my opinion, so we didn’t spend any real time there. I thought it better to get to my island and see it in daylight for the first time.
These might be some of the US ships, but I don’t really know.
We took the Namigi ferry. It’s slow, but cheap. Only 36 bucks for both of us.
Me being my usual playful self, offering to dive into the water.
Some of the ship-workers. I’m quite used to seeing them now, but I suppose it might be interesting for you all.
Shoes off inside the ferry. There are no chairs, we sit on the floor and sleep.
Sasebo is good for licking.
Our first view of Arikawa’s port.
Some pictures inside the Arikawa port. It’s really new (like since November last year, or perhaps even more recent than that) and has great whales hanging in the vaulted ceilings.
There was a goodbye party happening so mom stopped to take some pictures. This one is relatively small, as most the teachers have already left, but you can get an idea for what they are like.
Introducing Mama to Kuro kuma-kun.
Kuro kuma-kun and Mama.
We took these stairs, just to see where they lead. It was a nice afternoon for exploring.
A nice little natural area with a temple or shrine of sorts. I don’t know actually. I wish I weren't ruining the picture by being in it though.
And a view.
And Mama with the palms.
Tsubaki. Again. Has anyone else noticed my obssesion with this flower?!?
Then I took Mama to Hamaguri Beach in Arikawa.
We saw Yuka biking in Urakura and we stopped to say hello.
The graveyard in Aokata. Well, “a” graveyard. This is just one of many scattered all throughout the place.
I’ve never seen this little torii before, but we stopped to take the last few pictures for the day near this temple. The building was falling apart—it had no floorboards—but it was a tranquil area and the light from the setting sun was ambient.
You’ll see many more pictures just like this, I’m sure!
So, these are from her first few hours… There are so many more to come!
Love, Sierra