Monday, April 04, 2005

If you ain't got a keitai, you ain't got nothing.

Tuesday night, we welcomed Mama to Kamigoto Island with a giant welcome dinner at my apartment and some of my co-workers. Attendees were Satomi, Rie, Ai Sasaki (the new English teacher and my new supervisor) and Koichiro. It was a crazy evening as I had six people cooking in my kitchen, three visits from new neighbors bringing I’m-Your-New-Neighbor gifts such as saran wrap, laundry detergent and cakes, and my neighbor downstairs bringing me tempura for an army.

My initial goal was to teach Mama how to cook some Japanese foods, but as it turned out I just tried keeping her awake. It seems like jet-leg has FINALLY set in! But I was impressed how she hung in there for that crazy weekend in Fukuoka!

Starting to cook egg thingys.



Finished the egg thingys. Jibun de tsukita!



Making korokke or korroke, or karaoke or something that starts with a “ko.” Ai, on the left, seems pretty cool so far. She’s majorly stressing out because she’s gone from a college student without worries and cares to a full time teacher with 18 class hours a week. She’s got me to supervise, classes to lesson plan, her teachers accreditation to study for, and suits to wear everyday. I’m reserving judgment on her English until we get past this initial stage of newness and nervousness.



You gotta flour them FIRST, THEN dip them in the egg, and LAST in the bread crumbs. That’s the secret, yo!



The kitchen is the best place to hang out.



All the food is ready… and Mama’s ready to drop!



Hirano-san’s tempura.



Let’s eating dinner!



Then the keitai’s come out! Everyone at the table had one, except my mom, and she does have one, just not in Japan. Taking pictures, IF contact lists (that’s infa-reding, btw), emailing and making movies.





Omigod, you mean I can turn on my TV with my keitai!?! And play baseball, and… this is amazing! Koichiro and me deep in concentration.



The futons come out even before the guests leave because Mama has fallen asleep at the kotatsu on my lap. Then she was up at 5 a.m. the next morning. This sounds about right for jet leg.



So work continues this week. Opening ceremony for the new year is on Friday, but classes don't start until Monday. I don't teach until Wednesday, but then I have 7 classes in those three days. That'll be good. Four of them I get to teach alone too.

Sweet.

next post


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter