Thursday, March 24, 2005

Teacher Torture Day

The teachers that are transferring this year just found out last Friday and so it’s been a crazy week of last classes, closing ceremonies, farewell parties and packing up to move off the island. I’m having the three Nakako teachers and kyoto-sensei who are leaving write in my Gjestbok (The "Yearbook of My Life" given to me by Harald). Tomonaga-sensei wrote in it yesterday and I was really touched by what he said. He wrote,

“To Sierra
Times flies like an arrow.
I have spent sixteen years on this island.
This land is indeed my hometown.

You're one of the most friendly ALTs I've ever met.
You're always so cheerful, warm, happy and cute.
You're the sunshine of Nakako.
I can't think of Nakako without you.
I miss you so much.

Keep on studying Japanese.
Your Japanese is improving marvelously.
I hope you'll enjoy your Nakako life.
Thank you for everything.

Masaaki Tomonaga

No music, No Life.

たくさんのおもいで ありがとう。
また会える日をたのしみにちています。"

He also included two pictures. One of himself and one of his music students playing at a nursing home in August last year for the volunteer day. I went to watch them so it's especially a special picture for me.

He’ll be going to a school in Shimabara somewhere—obviously is really sad about leaving, but his family is anxious to go after 16 years here. He's being replaced by a 22 year old, recent college graduate. Her name's Ai Sasaki. She can't be head of the English department, so she's going to be my supervisor. (The two full time English positions divide these responsibilities.) I’ll have to move my desk to sit next to her now. I’ll be really sad to leave Hatake. I enjoy sitting next to him. I’ve got the best location in the staff room.

I met Sasaki-sensei today. I went to the port to pick her and the other two new teachers today. They seem really quiet and shy, but Sasaki does speak English! =) She’ll be living in Narao, but her grandparents live in Arikawa, so maybe she’s familiar with the island already.

Ah! It’s almost four and the weekend’s almost here!
Love, Sierra

P.S. Don't you love the new "next post" feature? It was pretty hard to easily scroll through posts if you got behind before. This new feature, which Daniel, of course wrote up for me, is dedicated to my mom who easily gets behind. I hope you're having a great time in Mexico mom and this button eases some of your pain when you get back and realize how much you have to catch up on!!!

next post


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter