Monday, February 14, 2005
When it rains, it pours.
My car is broken. A few cold mornings in the past few weeks Kuro kuma-kun has had trouble getting up the hill to go to school. I hoped it was just because the engine wasn’t warm and going up such a steep hill was hard on him, but this morning, even though I left him running for a minute or two before driving, he didn’t go up the hill at all. I wasn’t late for school, but I was getting late as I waited by the Eneos (gas station) for him to warm up. I decided to drive him back to the apartment and call the school to let them know I’d be late. He could get back to my apartment so long as I didn’t shift him out of first gear; second gear is where the problem lies, I believe.
Once I called Hatakeyama-sensei and told him what was going on, he told me to take the bus. I know better than that though; buses run like every two hours so I didn’t have that kind of time. Besides, it’s pissing outside today and I wasn’t going to wait around for a bus especially when I don’t know what time they come. (This sentence is the result of living on this island with Laura, our lovely Scot. I love that she says “It’s pissing it down,” when she really means it’s raining very hard. That girl’s English makes me smile.) I decided to try Kuro kuma-kun again and of course he worked because he was warm enough. I arrived at school just 5 minutes late.
Everyone was really worried about me too. Because it’s raining so hard, my jacket was soaking and everyone thought I had walked to work or something. Yeah right! It’s like 8 miles. Even Takeda-sensei was nice to me. He said “taihen desu ne?” (It’s terrible, isn’t it?) and offered me a spoon (because I was looking for one). Normally he wouldn’t care about me or my spoon, but he was being very kind. Hatakeyama has called the dealership and they will come and look at it today or tomorrow. I was hoping to go to the gym today so I hope it’s not a long or expensive problem. I need better luck with my cars!
Love, Sierra
Once I called Hatakeyama-sensei and told him what was going on, he told me to take the bus. I know better than that though; buses run like every two hours so I didn’t have that kind of time. Besides, it’s pissing outside today and I wasn’t going to wait around for a bus especially when I don’t know what time they come. (This sentence is the result of living on this island with Laura, our lovely Scot. I love that she says “It’s pissing it down,” when she really means it’s raining very hard. That girl’s English makes me smile.) I decided to try Kuro kuma-kun again and of course he worked because he was warm enough. I arrived at school just 5 minutes late.
Everyone was really worried about me too. Because it’s raining so hard, my jacket was soaking and everyone thought I had walked to work or something. Yeah right! It’s like 8 miles. Even Takeda-sensei was nice to me. He said “taihen desu ne?” (It’s terrible, isn’t it?) and offered me a spoon (because I was looking for one). Normally he wouldn’t care about me or my spoon, but he was being very kind. Hatakeyama has called the dealership and they will come and look at it today or tomorrow. I was hoping to go to the gym today so I hope it’s not a long or expensive problem. I need better luck with my cars!
Love, Sierra