Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Sierra's Impressions

Sierra’s Impressions

I was asked to write another essay for another publication. I'm certainly getting my fair share of oppurtunities to practice my writing skills here. This time I was asked to write a few sentences on every staff member at the school. At first I thought, "I don't even know everyone!!" but actually once I started it I realized that almost every person at this school has touched me somehow, no matter how small. I really like the way it turned out so I decided to post my first draft on the web. Although most of you won't know any of these people, you can get an idea of how I see many of the relationships in my life here. They're a little cheesy, but honest, okay!?! (Oh, and they're listed in order of imporatance--I didn't judge that, but my school did. I rank 25 out of 31! Not so hot, huh?)

1. 内山 What I like best about Mr. Uchiyama is how he conveys sincere concern for my safety and well-being. I feel lucky to have a principal who is so involved in his ALT’s life—I know that is very rare and special quality.

2. 山口 Mr. Yamaguchi is in the right profession. His aspiration for education never ceases to amaze me. My first month at the school I thought I was the luckiest ALT to have such a funny and caring vice-principal who tries so hard to speak English with me. No one will be able to replace him in my heart.

3. 平野 I’ll never forget the first time I met Mr. Hirano. I was walking home from the grocery store and I met him on the road near Nitayama. Although we couldn’t say much he gave me a warm welcome and a big smile. It made me feel so good. Now I know him and his wife as patient and generous neighbors.

4. 福野 A quirky math teacher sitting two desks away. I didn’t get to know Mr. Fukuno well until I invited him as a guest on my radio show. I then learned just how comical and witty he is. I’ll never forget his tremendous archery skills!

5. 野中 Mrs. Nonaka has always reminded me of my happiest aunt. She is always smiling and talking with everyone and I feel very comfortable around her.

6. 朝永 The first face I saw from Nakako. Mr. Tomonaga has shown himself as a passionate teacher and musician. His grasp of the English language always amazes and surprises me. A true pleasure to work with.

7. 増田 Mr. Masuda is a quiet and punctual man. Although I haven’t gotten to know him well, I know he is dedicated to Nakako students because he often gives extra lessons after class.

8. 陶山 I enjoy getting to see Mr. Suyama outside of school at karate practice occasionally. He is quiet, but always smiling. I hope to get to know him better so he lets me wear his white coat!

9. 竹嶋 Mrs. Takeshima must be very industrious because she’s always so busy. I’ve enjoyed getting to know her children at Children’s English Night and am confident they will thrive with two successful and hard-working parents.

10. 中山 I can tell that Mr. Nakayama is popular with the students because they speak so well of him. I’ve also noticed that he always arrives at school very early which demonstrates his enthusiasm and commitment for this school and its students.

11. 藤井 Because I sit across from Mr. Fujii I am always looking at his face. I think he looks like an American actor. Mr. Fujii appears to be very dedicated to his baseball team and he gets my vote for “Best Dressed.”

12. 小松 Ms. Komatsu made me dinner on the first night I arrived in Narao and since then we have exchanged small dishes and desserts. I will always think of her as a kind neighbor with a smart and beautiful daughter. Thank you so much for your kindness.

13. 桑原 One of the first names I could remember when I arrived at Nakako was Miyazaki and then she went and changed it on me! Mrs. Kuwahara seems to be a dedicated teacher and has always been kind to me.

14. 濱口 I didn’t know Mr. Hamaguchi well until I invited him on my radio show, but he proved to be an entertaining, brave and fun-loving guest. What I love most about him is that he is always joking and laughing.

15. 吉田 I didn’t think Mr. Yoshida noticed me until I asked him to teach me how to scuba-dive. Now I see he is a very kind and patient teacher with many special talents: audio-visual media, photography, scuba-diving, and a librarian. Mr. Yoshida is a Renaissance Man for the 21st century.

16. 岩橋  The first thing I heard about Mr. Iwahashi is that he is a high-level soccer referee—and I felt an immediate connection with him! He doesn’t know how much I appreciate his efforts to chat with me and I know he is one of the rare ones who listens to my radio broadcasts. Thank you Mr. Iwahashi.

17. 畠山 I will never be able to express my appreciation toward Mr. Hatakeyama and his wife adequately. A fun-loving, sincere man who opened the doors of Japan to me. Not only my supervisor, but an astounding teacher and fine friend. Arigato gozaimasu.

18. 中野 I got to know Mrs. Nakano through taiko practice last fall. After watching me struggle with the rhythm of drumming she identified my learning style and patiently helped me. Even today that memory warms my heart. This is a sign of a truly great teacher.

19. 土山 I didn’t quite appreciate Mr. Tsuchiyama’s knowledge of English and curiosity in me as a new foreigner the first month I arrived, but in retrospect he is one of the reasons I was so happy that first August in Japan. I’m thankful to him and the volleyball team for their acceptance and patience.

20. 竹田  Mr. Takeda has forced me to grow and mature and see things from a new point of view. I’m so thankful for his fortitude during taiko practice last fall—it was an amazing experience to learn from such a remarkable drummer. “When in Rome, do as the Romans!”

21. 法村 Mrs. Norimura has a benevolent nature and accepts everyone into her heart. A teacher who feels passionately for her job and devotedly to her students. She has been a pleasure to work with and shown immeasurable friendship.

22. 松本  Mrs. Matsumoto is a rare face at Nakako, but a happy one.

23. 山口 Mr. Yamaguchi first denied his ability to speak English but eventually he put down kyoto-sensei’s phrase book and just did it. He has demonstrated extreme patience and kindness and has an astonishing dedication to his job and future as a teacher.

24. 増村 In the beginning she was so shy, but in just a short time Miss. Masumura emerged from her shell to expose a beautiful and courageous person. Miss. Masumura and her family have been very kind to me and I only hope our friendship can continue to grow.

25. シエラ

26. 山口 An undeterminable connection lies between Mrs. Yamaguchi and me. I cannot quite put my finger on it, but I feel like if I ever needed anything she would be at my aid. A woman I quietly admire and respect very much.

27. 森 It was Ms. Mori who taught me how to walk like a woman in my yukata. She offers the gift of experience that Nakako so desperately needs. She will be greatly missed after her retirement this year.

28. 山口 Although I do not know Mr. Yamaguchi well, I can tell he is a very earnest and honest man. Plus, he always pays me on time!

29. 宮本 Mr. Miyamoto is always working hard around the school grounds. When ever he has the opportunity to speak English and help me be more involved in the community he takes it. He signed me up on the school volleyball team in the Narao tournament and I had a wonderful time!

30. 梅川 Ms. Umekawa is another friendly face around Nakako that I can always rely on. She has often helped me read and understand newspaper clippings sitting in the office and taught me new vocabulary words. These small things make a big impression.

31. 山中 Mrs. Yamanaka has been my translator, therapist, teacher and companion. As one of my closest friends in Japan, I want to express my appreciation for her support and compassion. I will miss her immensely next year.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter