Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Another Four Years of Tyranny?

What a disappointment the elections were. At least Kerry got Oregon’s support so I did what I could. And I can’t believe 11 states banned gay marriage! What’s this world coming to? I feel like we took a huge step back. But the damage is done and I’m not going to dwell too much in it.

Wednesday was a day off and Peter invited Catherine and I to go sailing with his friend Shinji. I was anxiously watching the elections in the morning—not wanting to tear myself away from the news—but we left around 11 a.m. Shinji lives just 10 minutes up the highway from Narao, I'm sure the area has a name, but I don’t know what it is. Shinji and his wife moved to the island around 5 years ago and built this amazing house on the water. I really enjoyed the house because it is built from wood. I think most buildings here are concrete or metal so it really made me feel at home. I kept thinking it looks so much like my house in Oregon—and it doesn’t actually, but the atmosphere is like home.

The living room with couches off the ground! So western!



A beautiful wooden staircase.



The kitchen.



They made us this awesome lunch of yakisoba and we ate outside on a log bench. Shinji’s friend, Shimose, who was also there, helped him make these big beautiful log benches that are in his house. We moved inside because it was getting windy and cold, but I felt so at home. Shinji’s wife is a wonderful hostess. She keep bringing us fruit, cookies, hot tea and snacks. I was eating the whole time I was there. Shimose speaks really good English and he was able to tell us so much about Japanese culture.

From left to right: Catherine, Sierra, Shimose, and Shinji.



The view from their front porch. Can’t really see it, but the yacht is just behind the white boat.



Some of our students (Peter’s and mine) came over shortly after that and we all went out on the sailboat together. It was too windy to do any sailing, but we used the motor and scooted around in the bay for a while. I even got to drive!

Sierra the Sailor!



And then Catherine drove for a while.



We spotted the vehicle Catherine needs/wants. Imagine how much damage she could do with that! (I’m not just being mean; this caption was recommended by Catherine herself!)





Shinji driving.



Peter helping dock the boat.



And here are some floating fish-houses (I guess) that I thought looked very Japanese!



After more tea and snacks at Shinji’s place and several calls to sport stores up north looking for a green karate belt for me, we decided to go home. Catherine and Peter came over to mine for dinner and we chatted for long time. It was really nice to have company and just be hanging out on a weekday. Usually we’re so busy with karate, kendo, adult language classes, tennis and volleyball that we don’t ever get to just chill inside.

Today I’m feeling especially genki and I think having a day off had something to do with it! Tonight I’m having two JTEs (Japanese Teachers of English) over for dinner. They are the two younger women at Wakamatsu Junior High and it’s time I get to know them better!
Love, Sierra


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter