Sunday, September 26, 2004
Love and Secrets (Taiko drumming video!)
Yesterday I hung out a bunch of laundry (the sun is shining and it’s beautiful today), did some errands in town, and then went up to Kamigoto for a swim in the pool and lunch with the girls. We ate ramen in that new(-to-us) restaurant and then headed out in search of the secret beach.
The secret beach is a legend, passed down from ALT to ALT. I’m not sure how much of a secret it is, but Yuka and Peter say it is pretty private, rarely used by any Japanese people. We crammed into my car and began our search. We had some general directions that I scribbled on a napkin in a restaurant last weekend—but then forgot to take with me. We were doing it all by memory, but we made it and it was beautiful. The weather was perfect this weekend. No one went swimming, but we enjoyed the wind coming in off the ocean, the sound of waves crashing, and the peacefulness.
Dreaming away...
The coastline (it's really dirty from all the crap that washes up, but I tried not to notice).
Laura gazing out into the water.
Because the girls all have to work today, Catherine and I did our grocery shopping and came back to Narao earlyish. Today I just did household stuff, cleaning and preparing for DT’s visit, watched some movies and video chatted with Dan. It’s the relaxing weekend I needed before the excitement starts on October 1st at 6 a.m.! (DT’s arrival in Japan!)
Oh! And I have a doctor’s appointment tomorrow at Kamigoto Hospital. I’m just getting a blood test and check-up to make sure I'm getting all the right vitamins and minerals and am in healthy condition. I’m worried that my tiredness is caused by anaemia or something physical that can be fixed with supplements or a more conscience diet. Hatakeyama is going to come with me and translate. I love that guy!
Love and Secrets,
Sierra
Finally, I’m posting a video of the taiko drumming I’m practicing everyday. I’m not very good at it (the rhythm is just so unlike anything I hear in the west) so I made this video and practiced it on my own. I will perform next Sunday at the school’s Culture Day.