Thursday, September 23, 2004

Love and Karaoke (First videos posted here!)

The videos are at the bottom. It may take a while for them to all load properly.

Another holiday! A much needed holiday too. It is Autumnal Equinox and today’s goal was to sleep. Except way back when I agreed to play this volleyball game with the teachers and the PTA at 9 a.m. on my day off! What was I thinking? Anyway, I went to the game and had a good time. My team lost in the first round so we got the job of cheering everyone else on. I actually fell asleep on the stage during one of the games—well, it was more like a cat nap, but everyone noticed and now they are all worried about my health.

Afterwards I went out to lunch with Satomi Norimura, Rie Masumura, and Koichiro Yamaguchi. They are all teachers at the school. I was so happy to be invited and we had such a good time! We went to Kamigoto for ramen (now one of my favorite restaurants) and then even celebrated our day off with some karaoke. I didn’t realize that you can do karaoke during the day and without drinking a lot. I figured you had to be pretty drunk to enjoy embarrassing yourself that much.

But I learned a lot today. The point is not how well you sing, but participating. So I did, and I’m learning how to choose good songs. Some songs just don’t work well for karaoke, but I didn’t know that until I chose one and had to suffer through it. My favorite song was actually the Titanic theme song. I never would have chosen it, but Rie did and surprising it was really fun! It's easy to do on karaoke.

So, I came back home and slept a little more (surprise, surprise) and now I’m getting to bed early so I’m not tired for school tomorrow!

Oh! I want to post some pictures and this video (hopefully) from my school’s Sport’s Day practice yesterday. My first time for the video so I hope it works!

Love and Karaoke,
Sierra

Some pictures in case the video doesn't work. First they march around in the dust with these flags. Each class (1, 2 and 3) are split into two groups (A and B) and there is a leader and a sub-leader in each group holding the flag and sign.



Then they do this syncronized dance. Yes! The whole school learns this dance so they can perform it as a group. The few students with their backs turned are the leaders and subleaders--they are directing their peers! Cool, huh?



And here are the videos!! (May take a while to download on slow connections. It took me about 30 seconds to load each one on my DSL line.)

Here are the students marching away! Can you imagine an American high school doing this?



Here is a video of the dance that they do. I actually think this is a common exercise that some business offices in Japan do together everyday to get the employees' blood flowing. The song sounds familiar because I think it was performed at my orientation in Portland. I guess some schools where ALTs are working might do this everyday in the staff room!


The last video of the dance. It's a little bit longer than the others, but it's so funny. Sorry about the wind in the speakers.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter