Wednesday, August 11, 2004
Love, Fudge and Steep Hills
And we run all these errands during work hours. Today when Hatake and I were at the bank we ran into a bicycle shop owner and I got myself a bike for ¥3,000! It's only on loan, but I can use it no matter how many years I stay. So when I got home, there was a bike waiting for me. I was so excited to take it for a spin, I changed into shorts and was putting some things away when the doorbell rang. It was the man I bought my bike from and his daughter, a Nakagoto graduate from two years ago. They came to make sure I could unlock it, the seat and handles were adjusted properly and watch me ride down the street. They live on my "block" so I'll stop by with some treats sometime soon.
Which reminds me! I forgot the fudge. It's in the fridge at the farm with a big DO NOT EAT ME sign. It was my best omiyage present to give to teachers, principals and special friends. I'm contemplating asking someone to send it, but I am sure you'll think it'll melt or won't make it. I'd like to try one though... puh leez!
I made dinner for myself again today and I'm getting better at this cooking Japanese food-business. I made miso soup, some udon soup and a "salad." The salad was just torn iceberg lettuce--no dressing, but I'm saving my tomatoes for a BLT for lunch tomorrow. Yeah! I have bacon! I even found wheat bread in Kamigoto last week, but the bread packages have about 5 slices so I've already used them all up. It's white bread for me until I can get to Kamigoto again.
I ended up taking my bike to the store at 7:30 p.m. Maybe a bad idea because it's pretty dark by 8 p.m., but everyone assures me it's safe to walk and ride on these narrow and windy highway roads that people drive 50 km/hr around, even at night. The "bike" down to the store is more like a coast because I live on a hill. In fact, I didn't petal once after I got down my driveway all the way to the store. I just tested my brakes a lot, which seem to be weak to me, but they never failed me. On the way back up I had to get off my bike and walk it most the way. I'm sure I'll get stronger and next time I'm taking a backpack for my groceries rather than hanging them off the handle. I only had milk, carrot juice and bread, but the bag kept swinging into the front tire. I was afraid I'd fall off or rip the bag or something. But I made it, huffing and puffing.
Joe called me at 12:30 a.m. last night. It was really good to hear from home even if it was the middle of the night. My screaming-crying-for-help email got through to her, thankfully!! Still no word from my mother though. I'm pretty tired today and it's already 11:30 p.m. so I'd better go to bed now. Miyazaki-sensei is taking me to work at 8 a.m. tomorrow. She's another neighbor who works at the school. She usually takes the bus, but Hatake left us his car so we're driving that until he gets back next week. Maybe I'll write another message when I get to school tomorrow. I haven't even told you about my weekend plans to Naru!!
Love, fudge and steep hills,
Sierra