Thursday, August 26, 2004
Love and Typhoon Warnings
It says:
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. Your ISP has told us that you’re online several hours everyday and that just ain’t right.
Please for the love of god, try the follow:
• Don’t click the refresh button. Go outside now.
• If you are about to spend another $100 at Amazon, then please contact Amazon Anonymous.
Etc, etc. It’s pretty cute ...and pretty accurate.
The next typhoon is coming. There’s a printout of it on the office chalkboard to prove it. The little black circle is approaching western Japan and this one threatens to be worse than the last. Hatake just put a school notice on my desk. Today all the students have to close the windows, put towels at the sills, pull the curtains and move the computers away from the windows! Dance practice is canceled on Saturday and school is closed Sunday and Monday for students. Teachers still have to come to work on Monday, but it’s too dangerous for students. The ferries have been pre-canceled for the 10-foot swells. It doesn’t bother me, but Catherine wanted to go to Nagasaki this weekend. Wish me luck through this one, and if you want to call Sunday morning so I don’t have to be alone, please don’t resist the urge.
Here is the print-out hanging in the staff room. I've circled the Gotos Islands in red. The winds in the center of the typhoon are suppose to be 55 meters per second!
They've even taped down our mailboxes! They didn't go that far for the last one!
Okonomiyaki was really fun last night, and I met another neighbor/co-worker too. Yamaguchi-sensei teaches math and he lives next to Hatakeyama on the third floor. He is the youngest teacher I’ve seen so far, at age 22, and he also practices karate. He came with us for our adventure last night. I accomplished my one goal last night, which was learning how to order okonomiyaki without squid and those dried fish skins that squiggle around on top. And I got to know Hatake’s wife and daughter a little bit better too. Hatake invited me to my first enkai (welcome party) this Saturday night. It may be canceled if the typhoon is too bad, but Hatake said I could still come over to his apartment and spend the night if I’m scared. Isn’t that family wonderful??
Well, my bus comes in 10 minutes and I just may take it to get home a little early today. Tonight is the big night! I’m cooking spaghetti for four! I’m very excited to have guests over and do a bit of entertaining.
Love and typhoon warnings,
Sierra
Sierra
<< Home

