Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Love and Kyuss Fur

This morning I had to wake up early to put my recycling out and as I was head back to my apartment (in my pajamas) I noticed a truck pull up our road. Letting my curiosity get the better of me I stopped at the stairwell balcony to watch was was going on. Normally, a delivery truck would not interested me, but it had pictures of cats on it so I thought maybe it was the humane society coming to pick up a stray cat or dog--I wasn't going to miss this excitement! The driver came around the back of the truck and saw me staring at him so I acted nonchalant like I was enjoying the morning sun or something. But when he started up my stairwell I scrammed back to my apartment so as not to be caught in my PJs. As soon as I had shut my door, the man knocks and I feel like such a fool... running from the delivery man who happens to be looking for me. He has a package and I have to sign for it. My modem arrived!!! I don't know if that means I can get internet early, but Hatakeyama is still in Nagasaki until Sunday night so I won't be able to ask him anyway. A lesson in patience, I suppose.

Today the cleaning and organizing continues. I have cleaned the bathroom, set up the spare bedroom as a walk-in closet (including an makeshift ironing board made out of an unused table, cardboard and a towel!), continued washing dishes and curtains. I know it doesn't sound like much, but all this stuff takes massive amounts of time. I also wrote many letters home, and started knitting again. Daniel's mom would be proud of me: I taught myself how to cast off today and then put a fringe edge on the little piece I knitted. It kind of looks like a squid, I think. I don't even have enough skills that I could even make a scarf yet, but I need confidence and practice doing different patterns before I start anything too big.

This afternoon I was victim to a wonderful thunderstorm that even put me without electricity for upwards of 10 seconds. The rain was pouring down in every which direction and the thunder was enough to make you jump out of your skin. It happened in the afternoon and lasted for about an hour. I had sheets and curtains drying on the line, but they didn't get too wet because of the overhang. I took a video of the thunder on my camera, but I'm not sure if it will have the same effect. I'm glad that I bought my flashlight yesterday so that if this happens again at night I won't have to use my computer screen to light my way.

Because of the rainstorm I wasn't able to go to Takai beach today. Catherine and I even planned to meet there for lunch because her school is right in front of the beach and she had to work today, but we'll have to do that another time. We also discovered where the onsen probably is located. Onsen are hot spring bath houses and there is one really close to Catherine's house. They will probably be nicer later in the year, but at least we know where it is.

Tonight Catherine and I decided to go out for dinner. We had no idea where to go because I have yet to see anything in this town that looks like it could be a restaurant. On the street I eventually asked someone, "Doko resutoranto?" and the woman pointed to the other side of a nearby building. The only thing on the menu I could read was "udon" and "cohi" (coffee) so we both ordered udon tempura. Actually, considering we had no idea what we were getting ourselves into, the food was pretty good. I unsuccessfully tried asking for my favorite Japanese snack: boiled soy beans, and then realized I was using the wrong word. They didn't have "mame" anyway. But now that I know what the front of a restaurant in this town looks like, I may be able to find another one. We've decided Tuesdays are for eating out.

We've planned to go up to Kamigoto for the weekend to visit the other ALTs living on our island. Peter, Kerry and Laura all live and work near each other and really want to have an all-island-gathering. I think there is another woman, Yuka, who lives there but she's either traveling or visiting home right now. We can take the last buses on Friday and Sunday nights and spend the whole weekend there. I think round-trip it will cost ¥2,000 ($20) though! For a half hour trip? Ouch! But I'm excited to meet our neighbors, find out what's in the town, get some groceries, and see the gym (nevermind have plans for my weekend).

Oh, I forgot to mention that James called to apologize last night. I think he realizes that his reputation among new JETs is more or less ruined, even if temporarily. I promised to put a good word in for him because I know at heart he means well. I hope that maybe he has learned that debating the cons of living on a Gotos Island with someone whose been here a week is not the best route.

Well, it's only 9 p.m. but I am pretty tired. I have to get up early for work tomorrow so I should do my 5 Day Abs video, pull out my futon and do my nighttime reading. I'm excited to check my email tomorrow!!!

Love and Kyuss' fur (which is lovingly hanging on my kitchen bulletin board),
Sierra

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter