Friday, August 13, 2004
Love and Fireworks
The fireworks were fun last night. It's kind of hard to be impressed with fireworks after seeing New York's Fourth of July fireworks, but the atmosphere was nice. Actually, it was almost like a fair. There were booths set up with carnival food, games, and toys. Hey, they have little turtles as a reward for winning a game like we have goldfish at American fairs! Actually, the game is if you can catch the turtle, you can keep it, but they're fast buggers so not many win.
The fun at Wakamatsu's Festival.
The entertainment was like none I've ever seen. It reminded me of a live rendition of a Power Rangers show. Good guys and bad guys battling to save Wakamatsu town from the forces of evil. There was lots of yelling and fighting and sparks flying. Really good blowing up sound effects. Almost like live anime! The show entranced me. Don't worry---the good guys win! Afterwards, two women from Okinawa sang and played guitars. They were wonderful! I got video clips of them on my camera so hopefully you can hear them too.
I know it's hard to see, but can you just imagine...!
Unfortunately, I was also feeling a bit down and out this evening, so is the emotional rollercoaster I am this week. I think it turned into something physical because I got an unexplainable stomach ache and felt very lethargic. Catherine's supervisor is very cool though and the three of us had a good discussion about our new lives on the car ride home. It was nice to be able to talk about our experiences together, with a Japanese person who has very good English. This morning I woke up feeling fine.
But I have to get moving because today I'm biking the 10 km to Wakamatsu. I'd almost prefer to stay here, work on my apartment and leave tomorrow morning, but it'll be better for me to get out today and I'll take care of everything when I get back. Wish me fun in Naru!
The sunset in Wakamatsu Port.
Love and fireworks,
Sierra