Saturday, August 07, 2004

Love and Cocktails

Last night was so much fun! Tomonaga-sensei and Hatakeyama-sensei took me on a very low key enkai (welcome party) around Nagasaki City. We first went to a Japanese restaurant where we had delicious food and they knew exactly what I liked! All of Tomonaga-sensei's inquisitiveness regarding food makes sense now. They ordered only cooked fish, pork, chicken, tofu, vegetables, french fries(!) and cocktails! Yeah! I didn't have to drink beer or sake on my first enkai! Another great thing was that the cocktails were so weak I could drink two without feeling any effects. Because drinking (especially for men, but for women too) in Japan is almost expected and those of you who know me, know I don't like to drink much alcohol. Afterwards, (after a $80 bill that they wouldn't let me touch) they wanted to take me to another bar for more drinks. We went to a little jazz-theme bar and I got more weak cocktails! I felt like I was playing a big trick on them--drinking, drinking, but not even getting a little bit tipsy. We called it a night after that; well, I called it a night, later on Hatakeyama-sensei told me he went out for more drinks, but jet-lag is really taking it's toll on me this trip.

I'm really looking forward to working with these two. They are both very relaxed. I was wearing a nice black dress with a matching jacket, nylons, high heels, the whole nine yards for this "very important introduction" and my supervisor showed up in jeans, a short-sleeve button-up shirt and sneakers! I couldn't believe it! I felt kind of silly all dressed up, but I had no idea to expect that! I think his age may have something to do with it. He's much younger than I expected. Hopefully, I at least made a good first impression in full regalia.

Having one more night in Nagasaki may have been a blessing in disguise. I got to see some of the city, experience a little bit of bar hoping without going crazy and know what I might want to come back and see later. Besides, I hear there is no place we could have had an enkai in Narao!!

Despite last night's fun, this morning I'm kind of sad. I woke up so early, around 6 a.m. and have packed up all my bags, gotten dressed, completely ready to head out the door, but I still have 45 minutes. I watched Japanese TV for a while, then read my gjestebok that all my family and friends wrote in and it just made me miss people. I'm not like crying and wishing I were home or anything, but I kinda want to talk to someone familiar. It's so silent in this hotel now that all the other JETs have gone their own ways and I'm all alone. I could call but I'm too cheap to buy a phone-card. I want to wait until I get to my apartment and know exactly how much money I have and what bills I'll have to pay before my first paycheck.

But today is the big day I get to go home! The ferry leaves at noon and I should be home around 2:30. Once I get settled, I'm sure I'll feel much better.

The Port in Nagasaki.



Where we'll hop the ferry!



The view of the bay, where Nagasaki Port is located.



Love and cocktails,
Sierra


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter